Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle

It's that Leonids time of year again.


 Photo: J.C. Casaso & I. Graboleda

The first time I ever heard the word Leonids was in 2002 as I was being coaxed onto the creaky roof of a friend's 4-story apartment in Somerville, MA. It was midnight and the show was just taking off. For the next 6 hours (before work) I watched shooting stars glitter across the urban sky while I did horizontal jumping jacks (to keep warm) in my 20 degree bag. The thermometer showed that it was much less than 20 out there, but I didn't want to run inside for more clothes lest I miss one of those magic moments.

Scientists seem to think there will be quite a show this year, especially if you are in Asia. Check here to find ideal viewing times by location (continent, country, or state).

NASA is predicting 20 to 30 meteors per hour over the Americas, and as many as 200 to 300 per hour over Asia.

Start drinking your coffee now, and get your cameras ready...

-Suzanne

No comments: